Re: dash situation

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 04:44:56PM +0200, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> dash is /bin/sh by default. It currently has three rc bugs.
>  * #546528: dash's preinst shouldn't rely on /bin/sh
>    This bug has a patch which is almost one year old. I pinged Gerrtit
>    about half a year ago without any response. When Marek Kubica tried
>    to NMU this patch further problems turned out. Raphael Geissert has
>    worked on these problems, but no final solution is in place yet.

I didn't respond because I thought I already commented on the bug, but
it was a different one

Back then the preinst was still subject to change, and developing it as
shell script is easier.  I guess it still is, and making it a C program
can wait until major changes to the script are settled.  But all this
will be done as NMUs anyway, so do as you prefer.

Regards, Gerrit.