Re: Python3 experimental packages with destination squeeze

[Sandro Tosi, 2010-09-16]
> Something I didn't find written anywhere and makes me wonder is:
> what's the gain for squeeze to have those new packages? is 3.1 being a
> supported version depending on those packages or viceversa? (after
> all, why have 3.1 as supported without any modules?)

Please read PEP 3147 and PEP 3149 - that's what we'll have in Wheezy.
3149 (but *not* 3147) was partially backported to python3.1 so that both
versions can share "dist-packages" directory. This means replacing
3.1 with 3.2 in Wheezy will be a lot easier and the toolchain will not
have to support one exception¹ for Python 3.1 (3.0 was never supported
by Debian). Few existing Squeeze packages that *do* support Python 3.1
right now would benefit from binNMU or few minor changes (changes in
python3.1 are backwards compatible, BTW). We simply want to have
toolchain ready in Squeeze, it has nothing to do with adding more
python3-foo binary packages in Squeeze which is a separate thing.

In Wheezy+1² we might have a problem with supporing more than one
Python 3 version at the same time (in very rare cases where .py files
cannot be shared or patched) but I'm convinced that by that time release
managers will tell us about the freeze 6 months in advance and we'll
figure something out with upstream.

[¹] which would be a PITA, I removed like half of dh_python3 after
    moving files from /usr/lib/python3.1/dist-packages to
    /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages
[²] yes, Wheezy+1, not Squeeze+1