f-spot 0.8 should go to Squeeze

Greetings,

We just uploaded the next stable version of f-spot to experimental,
versioned as 0.8.0-1.

This release is mostly a consolidation release on top of 0.6.2 which
is the version currently in Squeeze. I am of the opinion that the
improvements that this release offers make it a worthy candidate for
inclusion in the next Debian stable release. We have been staging the
development releases in experimental, and they have received testing
there, as well as being picked up by derivative distributions and
tested by their users. Please decide if, were to upload to unstable,
you would unblock and allow this version to transition.

The import system, one of the most flaky parts of 0.6.2 has been
rewritten to be much more robust. There is an extensive list of closed
Debian bugs related to import.

Metadata support is also much more robust than in the past. A bug
which concerned many users was that f-spot would modify imported
originals in 0.6.2. This has been fixed now, and f-spot will never
write to your images unless you explicitly ask it to in the
preferences.

Most of our distro patches were disabled or upstreamed. Only one
remains, where we differ in opinion from upstream. The other patch is
a late fix backported from git.

Upstream is of the opinion that 0.6.2 is now unsupported. He is
willing to support 0.8 with bug fixes for the long term. Of course if
you decide to deny this request then I will do my best to support
0.6.2 regardless.

The diff(stat) output will not be of much use to you, since the source
tree was reorganised to be more logical.

Bugs closed:

,----
| udd=> SELECT id, title FROM bugs WHERE id IN (341790, 357811, 426017,
| 492658, 559080, 559745, 584215);
| id | title | --------+-------------------------------------------------------------
|  341790 | Import uses blocking I/O
|  357811 | f-spot: Starts copying files to Photos folder before I press
|           Import
|  426017 | f-spot: import is very slow on large photo collection
|  492658 | f-spot: deleted ~/Photos when I un-ticked "Copy files..."
|  559080 | f-spot: Progressively bogs down system during import
|  559745 | f-spot: Needs a way to merge multiple pictures
|  584215 | when apt/aptitude/dpkg calls for gconf2 there are errors
|           about f-spot's schemas
| (7 rows)
`----

and one I forgot to close:

,----
| udd=> SELECT id, title FROM bugs WHERE id = 593616;
| id | title | --------+----------------------------------------------------
|  593616 | f-spot: F-Spot crashes if I try to import pictures
| (1 row)
`----

See http://bit.ly/bqXLLt for all upstream bugs closed between 0.6.2
and 0.8. Full upstream NEWS entries attached.

Your consideration is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Iain
f-spot 0.8.0 - Sep 15 2010 - Stabilized
---------------------------------------
- First long-term stable release of the 0.8.x series.
 - Contains everything from the 0.7.x series as well as some critical extra
   fixes that were added during the past week.
 - Some regressions in terms of support for obscure RAW formats, but lots of
   improvements overall, definitely in terms of stability.
 - Nearly 300 bugs closed since 0.6.2 (http://bit.ly/bqXLLt)
 - This series will continue to be maintained and released, but only with
   improvements and fixes. New development will happen on the master branch
   and result in 0.9.x releases.

f-spot 0.7.3 - Sep  9 2010 - Release Candidate
- Release candidate for the 0.8.0 release.
 - Completely replaced Glade usage by GtkBuilder (Paul Lange)
 - Cleanups and refactorings all accross (Ruben Vermeersch)
 - Correctly decide when to make the library location sensitive (Iain Lane)
 - Fixes in Taglib#.
 - IconView has been split up and made much more modular (Mike Gemünde)
 - More Hyenafication (Mike Gemünde)
 - Copy to Clipboard fixed (Mike Gemünde)
 - Another 20 bugs closed (http://bit.ly/a9FWVh)

f-spot 0.7.2 - Aug 11 2010 - Retooled
-------------------------------------
- Third release of the unstable 0.7 development series. Features a fully
  restructured source tree with full Monodevelop build support. Solves some of
  the regressions introduced in 0.7.1.
 - Reorganized source tree for clarity, builds with Monodevelop.
 - Switched from QueuedSqliteDatabase to HyenaSqliteConnection (Mike Gemünde)
 - Build tweaks (Christian Krause)
 - More GtkBuilder transition (Eric Faehnrich)
 - Reliability improvements (lots of them) for metadata handling (Mike Gemünde,
   Ruben Vermeersch)
 - Prune empty directories when deleting photos, import usability enhancements
   (Mike Wallick)
 - Big race-condition fix in import (Paul Wellner Bou)
 - Loads of improvements to Taglib#, in terms of handling broken files, extra
   format support (Pentax, Panasonic, Leica), stability and correctness (Ruben
   Vermeersch)
 - Reporting of import errors.
 - Speedups to repeated imports of the same directory.
 - Piles of cleanups and general stability improvements.
 - Over 50 bugs closed (http://bit.ly/cqpC3y)

f-spot 0.7.1 - Jul 14 2010 - The Big Switch
- Second release of the unstable 0.7 development series. Most notably
  including a switch to Taglib#. Regressions in the amount of RAW
  types supported, will be fixed before releasing 0.8.
 - Switched to a new Taglib#-backed metadata layer. This is a huge change
   which should bring us increased stability (in the long run) and a much
   easier to maintain metadata layer than the one we previously had. Also
   enables some funky new features like XMP sidecars. (Ruben Vermeersch,
   Mike Gemünde)
 - Add support for XMP sidecars (Ruben Vermeersch)
 - Add "remove from camera after import"-option (Ruben Vermeersch)
 - Start of a massive backend cleanup (Mike Gemünde)
 - Upstreaming of a lot of Debian/Ubuntu patches (Iain Lane)
 - Several dialogs converted from glade to GtkBuilder (Ademir Mendoza,
   Nick Van Eeckhout, Peter Goetz, Trevor Buchanan)
 - Code refactorings and cleanups, increased Hyena adoption (Evan Briones,
   Paul Lange, Paul Wellner Bou)
 - Small usability improvements (Alex Launi, Anton Keks, Iain Churcher,
   Tomas Kovacik)
 - More build retooling (Bertrand Lorentz, Christian Krause, Gabriel Burt)
 - Many bugs fixed and improvements in stability: Over 85 bugs closed
   (http://bit.ly/aKyQOd)

f-spot 0.7.0 - Jun 16 2010 - Full Steam Ahead!
- First release of the unstable 0.7 development series. Massive changes.
 - Reparenting and detaching support (Anton Keks)
 - A new Mallard-based documentation (Harold Schreckengost)
 - No longer embeds flickrnet, uses distribution copy (Iain Lane)
 - Adoption of a large amount of Hyena functionality (Paul Lange, Peter Goetz)
 - No longer embeds gnome-keyring-sharp
 - Completely rewritten import, much faster and less memory hungry (Ruben Vermeersch)
 - No longer use gphoto2-sharp, now uses gvfs which is less crash-pron (Ruben Vermeersch)
 - Fix Facebook support (Ruben Vermeersch)
 - Modernized unit tests
 - Revamped build (Mike Gemünde)
 - Much improved duplicate detection (much faster too) (Ruben Vermeersch)
 - Mouse selection in Iconview (Vincent Pomey)
 - Image panning support using middle mouse button (Wojciech Dzierżanowski)
 - Timeline slider now restricted to the size of the window (Iain Churcher)
 - Over 100 bugs closed (http://bit.ly/cyVjnD)