Re: soci package back in squeeze?

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 21:23:18 +0200
Julian Taylor <jtaylor.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately I was a bit too late to adopt it.

umm, like a year.

> Given that it was in squeeze up to a short while ago and it is still
> in lenny,

(Having it in lenny hasn't anything to do with whether it should be in
squeeze.)

> is there the possibility to get it back into squeeze if I
> adopt it?

Is there any realistic prospect of this actually happening? soci was
orphaned for eighteen months before being removed!

> Upstream is still active and is currently working on a new release
> which I intend to package in any case (obviously not for squeeze)

Upstream has been pretending to do stuff for 2 years. There is little
prospect of a new upstream release before Squeeze is released IMHO. The
proposed upload is yet another not-yet-released-made-up-version
+random-git-noise mess. That's no better than the
not-yet-released-made-up-version-random-cvs-noise version which was
removed.

3.0.0 has been unreleased now for nearly three years.

Packaging soci for Wheezy would appear to be a pipe dream. If you've
got time to do anything with soci, join upstream and get the release
out. If not, find something more useful to do please. Debian doesn't
need soci IMHO.

> All patches currently in the debian package have bee incorporated into
> upstream and I am willing to backport all bugfixes which have
> accumulated since the last release of the library.

What possible justification is there for putting the package back into
Squeeze when nothing has actually changed since it was removed?

--

Neil Williams