Re: [Pkg-chromium-maint] Chromium 6 in squeeze

On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 09:48:01 +0200, Giuseppe Iuculano wrote:
> On 09/03/2010 01:49 AM, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > Is this a supportable approach?  Once google discontinues version 6
> > after perhaps 2 months from now (5 was only stable for two months or
> > less), you're going to have to do the hard work of backports.
>
> The problem isn't backporting in general, the problem is that in
> April/May there has been some major refactoring of webkit code base, and
> chromium 5 uses an ancient webkit copy.

What's to say another refactor won't happen in a couple months?  Then
we'll be in the same situation with difficult backports anyway.

> Most of the issues fixed in chromium 6.0.472.53 are known for a long
> time, but they weren't disclosed because they are unfixable in the
> webkit copy of chromium 5.

Everything is fixable, its just a matter of how much effort is required.

> >  I think
> > we should be working on making a libwebkit-chrome binary package from
> > the webkit source so we only need to backport to one webkit codebase.
>

> Why? there isn't any package that uses that webkit copy.

The goal there would be to make chromium use that lib instead of its
internal webkit copy; and thus only need to support security backports
for one webkit source package.

I don't disagree with uploading version 6, I just think we need to find
a way to merge codebases to get things into a supportable state.

Best wishes,
Mike