Re: freeze exception for gcc-4.5 (i386, amd64 only)

On 11.08.2010 23:16, Neil McGovern wrote:
Hi Matthias,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 11:42:42PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
gcc-4.5 should be released with squeeze, at least on amd64 and i386.
gcc-4.5.1 was released a week ago, the first bug and regression fix
release after the initial gcc-4.5.0 release.

Do you have any information as to why this is needed for squeeze, as
opposed to squeeze+1? Would this be a nice-to-have, or does it solve a
specific problem?

it's more than "nice-to-have". See the reasons in my original posting (which you didn't include here in the reply).

  - gcc-4.5 will be an optional compiler, not replacing the current
    defaults.

Ok, but if it can be used, it probably will be by at least some things.

correct. but it should not introduce rc issues; if it does, then fall back to 4.4, or don't use 4.5 in the first place.

If port maintainers do want to enable gcc-4.5 on a port, they should
make sure that no regressions are introduced by building the runtime
libraries from
4.5 and ensure that possible regressions are fixed.

This is the bit that worries me. Although it is optional, it can (and
IMO will probably) be used by at least some things. This could lead to
odd bugs. If there's a problem in GCC 4.5 that isn't in 4.4, and it
comes to a security upload, there could be a mismatch between the
requirements.

sorry, I don't understand this reasoning and the implications for security uploads. If a package is explicitely built with 4.5, it will be built with 4.5 for security uploads too.

Do you have details as to the (previously mentioned) unit/regression
tests?

not besides the test results included in the packages prepared for upload. Is there anything more you would expect?

  Matthias