Re: Git for Squeeze

also sprach Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> [2010.08.15.0031 +0200]:
> I’m writing for advice.  The old plan was to release with git
> 1.7.2.x, but now that Squeeze is frozen I am having mild doubts.

As you well know, the freeze isn't a hard freeze, so considerations
like yours are in order, but there is no categorical reasoning
against newer upstreams.

Nobody yet knows how long the freeze will last, so it might be worth
now to expend the effort to put in there a version of Git you are
ready to support for 2–3 years.

> The only risky bits from “git log --first-parent
> maint-1.7.1..maint”
> I could find:

Of the issues you identify, none look critical. I'd say the
by/log-follow feature could/should go in together with the fix, but
that's diverting from upstream. jk/url-decode might be good with the
patch in pu, but the others aren't necessary, and you'll be best off
reverting them.

Thanks,

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

"even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day."
                                                            -- orbital