Re: Freeze exception for debhelper 8.0.0

Hi Joey,

On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 07:23:12AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> My plan for v8 was to put in as many good things as possible before
> the freeze, and call it finished when the freeze happened. This will
> avoid needing to backport debhelper when backporting packages that use
> v8, after the release.  The only real impact of this change is that
> lintian may also need an update, in order to stop warning on v8 use.

This seems eminently sensible.

> I also have two code changes that I made some time ago and didn't get
> around to uploading, which I'd *prefer* to also include in debhelper
> 8.0.0. The first of these is a minor permissions fix for files in
> /etc/sudoers.d/ for #589574 (see debhelper-patch-2).

This seems fine.

> The other patch (debhelper-patch-3) is the riskiest, passing --force
> to setup.py could conceivably cause breakage. One option would be to
> only enable this in v8 mode, which would make sure it doesn't break
> any existing packages.

At this stage of the release, I'd probably prefer to see the latter
used, not breaking existing packages can be considered a good thing.

Neil
--
< wjt> THINK OF THE TREES
< rjek> ... THAT WE BURNT TO MAKE THE ELECTONS TO SEND THIS EMAIL