Atlas migration

Hello guys,

As requested this morning, I'd like to highlight the situation of Atlas.
Atlas is a very important library in the numerical computing world even
used in software like openoffice or Koffice.
For now, the version we have in testing is outdated, old and pretty much
unmaintained/unmaintainable. Also, this version does not implement the
easy switch between the BLAS implementations [1] [2].

In unstable, there are several issues in Atlas (random crashes at build
time, package optimized at build time).
I had a talk yesterday about this subject and after some discussions, I
think I have a good solution to have in into testing into a good shape.
I will propose a new version by the end of august.

Cheers,
Sylvestre

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/LinearAlgebraLibraries
[2]