Re: Constantly Usable Testing BoF @ DebConf10

Hi,

On 01/08/10 at 13:35 -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> I'd like to invite any Release and FTP team members who are attending
> DebConf to the Constantly Usable Testing BoF, Tuesday at 10:30 am.
>
> http://penta.debconf.org/dc10_schedule/events/681.en.html
>
> The purpose of the BoF is to finally explore whether it would make sense
> to implement the Constantly Usable Testing idea[1], ways to do it, and
> get feedback and advice from teams that could be affected by it.

While I agree that it would be nice that Debian committed to providing
something in the lines of CUT, I'm wondering if it's not too early to
talk about implementation details. Things we could also discuss in the
BOF:

- what's the "mission statement" for this "thing"?

- which level of support/guarantees do we want to provide to users?

- what are the possible implementations?

- what makes current testing not suitable for that? (I can think of:
  security support, transitions delaying packages migration to testing,
  delayed migrations of important bugfixes, crappy name for something
  that we want users to actually use)

- how do we make sure the goals of this "thing" don't conflict with
  Debian's goal of releasing stable releases? Should we really re-use
  testing for that "thing", or create another suite/branch/whatever?

- Lucas