Re: Perl 5.12 status update

Another shortish status update on my perl 5.12 work.

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 06:34:40PM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:

> Upstream is releasing 5.12.1 in the next few days. It's a bugfix release
> with minor changes. I intend to upload it into experimental quickly when
> it's released.

Done as planned.

>  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-perl@lists.debian.org;tag=perl-5.12-transition
>
> which currently shows about 20 FTBFS bugs with 5.12.0, many of them
> trivial.

There are a few new bugs on the list, as I had forgotten about perl-suid
dependants (perl-suid is finally going away with 5.12)

> (I have rebuilt ~2150 packages against different configurations and
>  release candidates of 5.12.0 on amd64 and x86; broadly those with names
>  matching /perl/ or linking against libperl. I'll redo this with 5.12.1
>  when it's ready.)

I've done this on amd64, this time for all packages build-depending
on perl. The set is slightly larger, approximately 2350 packages,
and I did catch a couple of new failures.

I'd like to do a similar test run on i386 too but haven't had the time
for it.

However, I'd expect use64bitint problems (which are my main concern as
they don't show on amd64) to happen only in packages with XS modules
or libperl linkage (i.e. those that will require binNMUs in the transition).

I have rebuilt all those against 5.12.1 on i386 without any new issues,
so #579450 seems to be the only one of this type. Of course, not all the
packages have test suites so they may still be subtly broken.

> Archive-wide, worst blockers for the transition that I know of are
>  - #581268 / #578547 : libdata-alias-perl breaks and has a big number of
>    reverse dependencies via libdata-visitor-perl
>  - #578628 / #580328 : libregexp-copy-perl breaks and makes much of the
>    Catalyst suite uninstallable via libhtml-formfu-perl
>  - #578814 : perl-tk breaks and has a big number of reverse dependencies
>    (already fixed upstream in development releases)

These have been resolved; libregexp-copy-perl and libdata-alias-perl
probably won't be fixed but they no longer cause problems for other
packages.
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org