Re: Eucalyptus Cloud infrastructure and kernels/initrds

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 10:19:09AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> I think that enabling users to build their own customized images is
> more in the spirit of doing things the Debian way, and also has the
> advantage of not adding more work for any core debian team.

I've been told by the pkg-eucalyptus people that such a possibility is
already there. Still, the advantage of having pre-built images is that,
well, they're pre-built.  You can for instance cook-up your own d-i
image, but you prefer to use one which is already built, right?

> > Upstream is very open towards Debian, actually an
> > official partnership is considered by both sides,
> > all postponed a bit until the situation at Eucalyptus
> > becomes less stressful again.
>
> What does "official partnership" mean? How will it be binding for
> Debian?

http://www.debian.org/partners/
But as reported that is still being evaluated on both sides, and is
really off-topic here.

> I'm not sure I understand why it is so important to have upstream
> developers involved directly with Debian, instead of using a DD (you) as
> a proxy, as we do with 99.9% of our packages. Are we going to add all
> our upstreams as DM? It seems to me that getting upstreams directly in
> touch with core teams might result in a big loss of time on both sides
> due to upstreams' lack of Debian knowledge.

I don't understand why this general discussion is relevant here. In
Debian we welcome anyone which has the technical qualities we ask for to
be contributors of any kind, up to DD.  If some upstream are also
willing to do that, in addition to their upstream work, that's
good. Let's focus on the packages and their quality rather than on the
people, shall we?

Cheers.