Re: Eucalyptus Cloud infrastructure and kernels/initrds

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 01:13:45AM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:
> since today, we have Eucalyptus in the archive, which
> is a Free clone of the Amazon Web Services for computing
> and storage. Stefano wants to tag Squeeze as "cloud
> ready", and, frankly, for the very exact moment nobody
> really knows what this is supposed to mean.

Eh, let's not exaggerate with the buzz words :) I just want that users
interesting in run Debian on some cloud infrastructure (be it Amazon or
Eucalyptus-based) are aware of the fact that they can and that they are
supported by Debian in doing so (assuming we can make the needed
arrangements with the various involved teams).

> So Debian is cloud ready already with
> the advent of Eucalyptus in sid. But there is more to
> it, like the synchronisation of releases with cloud
> images. We are preparing for such an automated
> synchronisation, but how much of that is automated
> and how that is triggered, we don't really know for
> the moment. Also we don't know if we need to plan
> for any mirroring or if we can start with a single
> site to offer immediately cloudifiable images.

I believe this is the most relevant part for -release. AFAIK the
pkg-eucalyptus team already has all the software to create on the fly
the needed images and kernel/initrds. The point is then which work-flow
do you want to synchronize with pkg-eucalyptus so that when a release is
updated, their images get updated too (assuming that the extra
coordination is not too much of an extra burden for -release).  Similar
concerns exist for kernel alone and Steffen is getting in touch with the
kernel team about that.

Thanks to Steffen for raising the topic!
Cheers.