Re: Upcoming etch point release

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:31:56AM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 09:34, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> > Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> >> The next point release for the "etch" oldstable distribution, 4.0r9, is
> >> scheduled for Saturday, 22nd May.
> >
> > I guess this is rather a plain "formality" than an endorsement by the
> > project that this release is an up-to-date version of "etch" (say as far
> > as security is concerned). Maybe this should be pointed out more clearly
> > in order to avoid misunderstandings.
>
> Depending on your definition of "up-to-date", it's arguably both.
>
> There hasn't been a point release for oldstable for some time. This update
> includes the security updates for which DSAs were issued in the several
> months prior to security support ceasing in February, together with a
> number of other updates to packages; see
> http://release.debian.org/proposed-updates/oldstable.html for a complete
> list.

The point is that it does not provide any security updates since the EOL
(AIUI); I also think this should be stressed so people do not think the
point release is security-safe up to its release date.  Otherwise some people
might think "oh, there's another point release, I can keep this etch
server running for a couple more months then"

Michael