Re: Serializing transitions

[ Just a few quick thoughts. ]

On 2010-03-26, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> Multiple transitions will still end up mixed in sid if you push them
> before packages have migrated to testing but they are all already
> completed and you only have to deal with RC bugs and delays to ensure
> package can migrate to testing. The release team has less responsibilities
> in making transitions happen but should instead carefully pick the order
> in which transitions will be pushed to sid.

This also means that you need to restart aging when pushing stuff into sid,
so that people can actually test the result, which just won't happen if
it's done outside of sid.  So for a perfect transition you are moving the
testing to the end and increase the time for the transition.  ;-)

(OTOH yes, we do apply any aging onto binNMUs neither, so we might not be
worse off than before.)

And there are those transitions which were not noticed by people beforehand,
like ABI breaks without package renames, but I guess if your scenario would
be in place, people would just be forced to revert those in unstable instead
of pushing an uncoordinated transition through sid.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern