Re: parted unblock, and upcoming transition

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:43:27PM +0100, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:22:42PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Speaking of which, I would like to upload parted 2.2 to unstable (it's
> > currently in experimental) once 1.8.8.git.2009.07.19-6 reaches testing.
> > The reason to try to get this into squeeze is that without it we won't
> > properly support "Advanced Format" (i.e. >512-byte logical sectors) hard
> > drives, which are becoming increasingly common.  There is an ABI
> > transition involved, among the following source packages (maintainers
> > CCed):
>
> There are (at least) two qt packages involved, so that should be done before
> the qt transition starts.

OK, what kind of timeline are we talking about?  Luk said "not yet" a
few days ago, although I wasn't clear what he was waiting for (not that
I minded, I don't need to know the fine details).

> So with 1.8.8.git.2009.07.19-6 theoretically every source package could
> switch its build-dep to libparted-dev already?  Or are those supposed to
> use the precise version as they do now?  (I.e. in the current state they
> are not binNMU-able.)

If the release team prefers that, I don't mind as such - but note that
it's quite likely that several of these source packages will want to use
API introduced more recently than 1.8.8 (the alignment handling
functions), so just "libparted-dev" seems a little too imprecise really?