Re: Notes on IRC meeting

On 2010-03-16, Marc Brockschmidt <marc@marcbrockschmidt.de> wrote:

>  * python2.6:
>    - Phase 1: add support for 2.6 for multi-python-supporting packages
>    - Phase 2:
>      + build packages for default version 2.6
>      + Known open issues:
>        http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=python2.6;users=debian-python@lists.debian.org
>    - aba is tracking it

>  * qt4.6
>  * KDE 4.4

>  (2), the python switch, will most probably take two to four weeks, if
>  nothing horrible pops up. This involves a massive binNMU campaign of
>  ~200 packages plus a number of sourceful uploads.

KDEbindings currently doesn't build. No one plans to fix the kde 4.3
kdebindings, as we are moving to kde 4.4 anyways.

Also note tha KDE 4.4 is introducing various new things, and of course
possible regressions, as it is the result of quite big development
effort, and we would really like to have more than a couple of weeks
from 'upload to unstable' to 'debian freeze'. We kind of expected to
have a couple of months with real users testing it.
(KDE is a too big piece of software to have all use patterns tested
by the maintainers)

We have prepared both qt4.6 and the kde libraries with symbol files to
ease testing transitions, and for both Qt and KDE core libraries, there
are no SONAME changes involved.
(Note that symbol files for c++ things isn't always fully working, as
something might be picked up due to magic involving templates or inline
functions)

/Sune
 - one of the friendly KDE people