X stack for squeeze (was Re: Bits from the Release Team: What should go into squeeze?)

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 21:42:58 +0100, Philipp Kern wrote:

> It would be great if every team on track could send us a short mail to
> debian-release@lists.debian.org and if every team that still faces work
> could write up a corresponding bug report filed against release.debian.org,
> preferably with proper blocked by[1] annotations if bugs are filed for the
> issues at hand.  Like this our progress is publically trackable, maybe
> even motivating besides the high RC bug count.  Please file the bugs at
> normal severity, the Release Team will prioritise them afterwards.

As far as the X stack is concerned, I see the following items:
- xorg-server 1.7.x and mesa 7.7.x, mostly ready, we'll keep following
  the stable upstream branches
- the kernel drm stack will be pulled from 2.6.33.x starting with
  linux-2.6 2.6.32-10 (which brings a number of bugfixes, and probably a
  couple regressions)
- intel won't change much I think.  It'd be nice to cherry-pick fixes
  and new hw support from upstream though, if somebody has time
- radeon should probably switch to kernel modesetting before release
  (after the 2.6.32-10 kernel upload).  Will need some testing, and an
  update of the X driver from 6.12.x to 6.13 rc (currently in
  experimental)  [Brice]
- nouveau is nowhere near ready, and needs someone to take care of
  getting the userspace components (and firmware) in sid soon
- there'll probably be some more work with the d-i people to finish the
  g-i/Xorg integration [Cyril]

Hopefully I'm not forgetting anything important.

Cheers,
Julien