Re: Bits from the Release Team: What should go into squeeze? (wml & friends, conkeror, xen-tools, udhcpc, dphys-swapfile, amora-server)

Hi,

Philipp Kern wrote:
> We would like to know what needs attention, what bugs still need to
> be fixed in your package before squeeze is released, which features
> or new upstream versions you want to see in squeeze which are not
> ready yet.

With my pkg-wml hat on:

The pkg-wml team recently has been founded to adopt wml and friends
(mp4h, eperl, slice, etc.) and get them back in shape.

There will be two new wml related uploads soon:

* A completely revamped wml package with tons of small and medium
  fixes and with many embedded code copies being removed. I plan to
  test it on a copy of the www.debian.org web this week.

* A new, but yet untested upstream version with minor fixes (mostly
  security issues already covered in Debian) is available. I will
  upload it to experimental, but if it looks fine, I may also consider
  uploading it to unstable later, too. Not yet sure if it is important
  to have it in Squeeze, too

mp4h has currently a serious bug (#573599) which breaks building the
www.debian.org web and was introduced when fixing a security issue. I
will investigate this issue with together with Thorsten Glaser this
week.

eperl has currently only bugs with severity normal, but there's at
least one (#397536) which I want to have fixed for Squeeze. Will work
on that after mp4h and wml are back in shape.

Other packages which I'm currently working on and which I (may)
think that they should be included for Squeeze:

conkeror:

  some upstream bugfixes + support for xulrunner-1.9.2 planned for the
  next upload. IIRC xulrunner-1.9.2 is planned to go into Squeeze,
  too. The changes for xulrunner-1.9.2 support are already committed
  and I'm using conkeror with xulrunner-1.9.2 since glandium posted
  his preview release on planet.debian.org. Only minor issues so far
  which all seem to be rendering (i.e. xulrunner) issues. Wanted for
  Ubuntu Lucid[1], too. Upload probably this week.

    [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/conkeror/+bug/537900

xen-tools:

  was removed from sid/squeeze without orphaning it first due to no
  more interested maintainer (who is upstream, too). I took over
  upstream and maintainership, but the package has to go through NEW
  because of that.

  I already fixed[2] many of the bugs which were (and are again) open
  against xen-tools and I'm currently in the testing phase. As soon as I
  fixed all bigger problems found during testing, I'll upload it.
  Probably this week.

    [2] http://noone.org/hg/xen-tools/

  xen-tools was the tool of choice for creating Xen domains in Lenny,
  so I think it should be in Squeeze, too, at least if there's Xen
  support in Squeeze. If there will be now Xen support in Squeeze,
  it's not important to go to Squeeze either.

dphys-swapfile:

  I agreed with the current maintainer that I will adopt that package.
  It has one important bug (#564466) happening when used with kernel
  2.6.32. Currently investigating, will probably cause a new upstream
  release.

udhcpc (from busybox source package):

  Needs one bashism fixed (#572008, #572013, #572622), introduced with
  the last upload, but not yet found by checkbashisms. Proper patch
  soon, Commit and upload will be waldi's authority.

amora-server:

  Upstream is currently testing a new version which includes systray
  support and therefore makes it more usable for non-commandline
  users. This will cause the package to be split up in two separate
  packages (one GUI and one CLI version), so a new upstream version
  will have to go through NEW, too. I consider this less important
  than the above mentioned package, but won't mind having it in
  Squeeze, too. Will first focus on the above mentioned packages,
  though.

P.S.: I'm not on the list, so please Cc me on replies.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin