Re: RC severity for Python 2.6 related bugs

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 23:11, Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> wrote:
> I also tend to  believe that there are a lot of  packages that will just
> fail to run  with Python 2.6 but will have no  problem to build, because
> for  most packages,  building  just means  to  copy files  in the  right
> location. The later we switch to  Python 2.6, the more difficult it will
> be to catch those bugs.

I absolutely agree with this (even though, for those packages that
byte-compile the files they install, it's a smaller problem) and I
fear there are several situations where there are hidden bugs only
discovered with (long) *usage* of a system with 2.6 as default:
waiting to do the switch, doesn't help to release a better squeeze,
only a worst and buggier one.

Additionally, as a side note, unstable is "unstable" by definition:
its users knows it, and if something breaks in it, it will either be
fixed or not in stable, so "break users apps" problem is less
appealing (even though it exists).

Regards,