Apparent portmap to rpcbind transition?

As discussed by a number of people in bug #562757 it appears that
nfs-kernel-server has kicked off a transition to the use of rpcbind - at
least, nfs-kernel-server has switched to needing rpcbind and we can't
have two things claiming the portmap port.  Since a number of packages
currently rely on portmap (list based on rdepends below) this is likely
to require a transition of some kind.

I've not seen any discussion of how this is supposed to work, or any
mention of the planned transition before it broke my systems.  There's
quite a few bugs in ONCRPC related packages related to the current state
but none of them seem to have a summary of what the intention is - does
anyone have any information here?

Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org>
   doodle (U)

Mark Brown <broonie@debian.org>