Re: Upcoming Python Transition

On 21.12.2009 18:04, Luk Claes wrote:
Scott Kitterman wrote:
I believe that we are getting close to uploading Python 2.6 to Unstable and
dropping Python 2.4 as a supported Python version.  If we finish preparations
in the next week, are there any ongoing transitions a python2.6/python-
defaults upload would entangle that would cause the release team to want the
uploads to be delayed?

KDE was supposed to be ready to migrate by now, which is the only thing
preventing the Xorg transition to start.

If the python transition does not interfere with the Xorg one, it's fine
to start it.

I would like to avoid removing 2.4 and adding 2.6 at the same time (for the removal of 2.4, some packages require first the rebuild of the "last" package in the dependency chain, for the upload of 2.6, the rebuild of the "first" package in the dependency chain is required). to keep the archive installable, I'd like to see first 2.4 removed from the list of supported python versions, followed by a round of bin NMUs, and then 2.6 be added as a supported python version, followed by a round of NMU's. Only after the latter NMU's are in testing, a "Python Transition" (making 2.6 the default) should be considered.

If there are no objections, I'll remove 2.4 from the list of supported python versions. this will lead to the uninstallability/removal of zope2.x, but zope2.x maintainers did agree to the temporary unavailability of zope2.x, and there is a way forward usingpython 2.6 with zope2.x.

I don't see how this scenario will interfer with KDE/Xorg.

  Matthias