Re: X.org plans for the squeeze cycle

On Sun, 2009-08-23 at 13:23 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 14:41:24 +0200, Marc Brockschmidt wrote:
>
> > * Which major upstream releases of X.org are expected in the next two
> >   years? Which of those are material for Debian stable, which might be a bit
> >   flaky?
> >
> X.org release management is notoriously pretty bad.  Releases often slip
> by months, and bugs in .0 server releases aren't unheard of.  See also
> http://www.openbsd.org/papers/asiabsdcon2009-release_engineering/mgp00009.html

There's some truth to this, but anyone reading it without context should
keep in mind who wrote it. From my POV the main problem is lack of
manpower upstream, and the people we have tend to be more interested in
working on functionality or fixing bugs than doing release management
stuff.

> Anyway, there's no schedule for 1.7 to my knowledge, [...]

Actually, there is one:

http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2009-May/000993.html

But we haven't even frozen features or branched for xserver 1.7 yet, so
we're way behind. AFAIK the main outstanding blocker is XKB2.