Re: Mozilla plans for the squeeze cycle

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 02:41:21PM +0200, Marc Brockschmidt wrote:
> Heya,
>
> As announced on dda [RT1], we want to get an impression when releasing
> Squeeze is feasible. We have proposed a (quite ambitious) freeze in December
> 2009, and some developers have noted that their planned changes wouldn't be
> possible in this time frame. So, to find out when releasing would work for
> most people, it would be great if you could answer the following questions:
>

> * Which major upstream releases of Mozilla/Xulrunner-based software are
>   expected in the next two years? Which of those are material for Debian
>   stable, which might be a bit flaky?

firefox 3.6 is currently scheduled for december 2009; i think it would
be worthwhile to get that in before freeze even if its not yet final
at that point; this would help to get a bit longer upstream security
support and would make debian more modern. Also it will probably get
to final during freeze.

Mozilla does not have any 2 years plans that one could rely on. Last I
know is the general goal to target a ~9 month cycle, but with usual
approach to release when ready (so 3.5 took 12 month).

> * How much time do you usually need from a new upstream release to a
>   stable Debian package in unstable?

This is hard to guess as you dont know up-front how much porting will
be required. Also I cannot speak for debian xulrunner/firefox
maintainers here.

> * How many "big" transitions will the upcoming changes cause? When should those
>   happen? Can we do something to make them easier?

Same here ...  we dont really know in advance.

p.s. CC me ... not subscribed iirc.

 - Alexander