Re: GCC 4.4 run-time license and non-GPLv3 compilers

On 16.08.2009 10:50, Luk Claes wrote:
Matthias Klose wrote:
On 29.04.2009 04:49, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Florian Weimer:

I've asked the FSF for a clarification (the second time, the first
clarification resulted in the Java bytecode exception).  Until we know
for sure how to interpret the exception, it's probably best not to
make GCC 4.4 the default compiler in sid/squeeze.

For the record, due to a MUA glitch, the message to the FSF was not
actually sent until yesterday.  Sorry about that.

Apparently there's no feedback yet from the FSF. This issue should not
prevent upgrading GCC to 4.4 for squeeze. I talked with Luk Claes, and
we came to the conclusion that raising awareness for this potential
issue with compilers distributed with Debian and filing a bug report to
track progress would be a step forward. The bug report should be for
`general', severity `serious'. Somebody then needs to identify and
examine all compiler packages shipped.

There does not seem to be filed such a bug report nor was there a
thorough examination of all compiler and plugin packages that I know of?

What's the status?

The topic was picked up by lwn.net. There was an extra issue raised if combining GPLv2 only licensed sources and LGPLv3+exception is valid.

I don't plan to file the bug report myself or work on the general compiler review besides for packages I maintain as a team member or myself.

  Matthias