Re: OpenJDK plans for the squeeze cycle

On 16.08.2009 14:41, Marc Brockschmidt wrote:
Heya,

As announced on dda [RT1], we want to get an impression when releasing
Squeeze is feasible. We have proposed a (quite ambitious) freeze in December
2009, and some developers have noted that their planned changes wouldn't be
possible in this time frame. So, to find out when releasing would work for
most people, it would be great if you could answer the following questions:

* Which major upstream releases of OpenJDK are expected in the next two
   years? Which of those are material for Debian stable, which might be a bit
   flaky?

OpenJDK7 has a release target of spring/summer 2010. OpenJDK6 doesn't see major updates, and can/should be followed within a freeze as well.

The only exception is the java plugin for the browser, which currently depends on xulrunner (<< 1.9,2), and will stop working with xulrunner-1.9.2 and firefox 3.6. Fedora currently reimplements the plugin, but it is still in an experimental state.

OpenJDK/IcedTea ports for the Hurd, FreeBSD and Linux/hppa are missing. Afaik nobody works on these.

* How much time do you usually need from a new upstream release of OpenJDK
   to a stable Debian package in unstable?

Having something for the mainstream architectures is relatively fast, getting things done for all ports takes longer, help from port maintainers is appreciated.

* How many "big" transitions will the upcoming changes cause? When should those
   happen? Can we do something to make them easier?

Introducing OpenJDK7 in unstable and making the transition are two different things.

  Matthias