Re: Perl plans for the squeeze cycle

On Aug 16, 2009, at 16:35, Martín Ferrari wrote:

Hi Marc,

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 14:41, Marc
Brockschmidt<marc@marcbrockschmidt.de> wrote:

* Which major upstream releases of perl are expected in the next two
years? Which of those are material for Debian stable, which might be a bit
 flaky?

Even if I don't know current plans in the Perl community, Perl 5.8 was
released in July, 2002 and the next major release, 5.10, was released
in December, 2007. I spent a while trying to find the plans for 5.12,
but it seems that nothing has been said. What I could find was this
blog post/manifesto by chromatic static that "# No one can predict
when (or if) Perl 5.12 will come out.". On a side, perhaps ironic
note, in that post he's asking for predictable, time-based releases.
Who knows, maybe the Perl community can be talked into the big synch
process...

This, unfortunately, is highly unlikely.

Jeremiah