Re: Perl plans for the squeeze cycle

Hi:

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Marc
Brockschmidt<marc@marcbrockschmidt.de> wrote:
> Heya,
>
> As announced on dda [RT1], we want to get an impression when releasing
> Squeeze is feasible. We have proposed a (quite ambitious) freeze in December
> 2009, and some developers have noted that their planned changes wouldn't be
> possible in this time frame. So, to find out when releasing would work for
> most people, it would be great if you could answer the following questions:
>
> * Which major upstream releases of perl are expected in the next two
>  years? Which of those are material for Debian stable, which might be a bit
>  flaky?
I believe the next big push is 5.10.1 which includes some new modules
in core, and lots of bug fixes. I think it's probably best to try to
get that one in before the freeze; it has lots of updated versions of
core modules too. The first Release Candidate is out; see this
announcement: http://use.perl.org/article.pl?sid=09/08/07/0910246&from=rss

> * How much time do you usually need from a new upstream release of perl
>  to a stable Debian package in unstable?
>
> * How many "big" transitions will the upcoming changes cause? When should those
>  happen? Can we do something to make them easier?
I think the biggest transition has already happened with 5.10.0. At
this point it's just lots of bug fixes and new versions of core
modules; for the most part it only affects the perl and perl-modules
packages. I don't think this will cause regressions in our existing
code, as this is a fairly minor release (compared to 5.8 -> 5.10)

Note that some of the bug fixes are pretty important -- on the scale
of segfaults and leaked memory:
http://search.cpan.org/~dapm/perl-5.10.1-RC1/pod/perl5101delta.pod#Selected_Bug_Fixes

> Thanks,
> Marc