Re: increasing default value of mmap_min_addr

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 02:54:59PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> hey,
>  The kernel team is discussing the possibility of increase the default
> value of mmap_min_addr in lenny (it has already been done for
> sid). Obviously this has implications for the wine and dosemu packages
> (are there others?)
>
>  The current proposal is to notify users in the next kernel DSA that
> we will be making this change in the next point release and point
> users to a wiki page that explains the problem and describes how to
> bump the setting in the meantime.
>
>  I saw some discussion in #505247 about maybe adding a debconf
> question/stub file in /etc/sysctl.d to drop this value on a
> per-package basis. Do wine/dosemu have plans to do this? I wonder if
> we should consider including something like that in stable?

I've created the following wiki page, which I plan to reference in the
next kernel security advisory (will go out RSN):

  http://wiki.debian.org/mmap_min_addr

Please review for accuracy. Maintainers should pay special attention
to the application-specific notes towards the end.

--
dann frazier