Re: Dealing better with CD releases, done partially with 5.0.2a/5.0.3

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:31:27AM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 01:28:56PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> >* Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> [2009-04-15 15:36:57 CEST]:
> >> We currently potentially have a window of a few hours of breakage, as
> >> the web pages that point directly to the old images stay around for
> >> quite a while. Even if they are updated directly in $VCS as we do a
> >> release, the website is only rebuilt periodically from cron.
> >
> > It's not that big of a deal to trigger a manual rebuild of the webpages
> >if one of the webmasters is contacted and around for the time, it
> >doesn't need to wait for the periodically rebuild from cron.
[..]
> OK. How long does it take for the web mirrors to update after a cron
> run? I'm thinking of *trying* to make all versions of the pages work
> for a while if we can...
>
> Yes, I know I'm being awkward. :-)

Just as a reminder: for 5.0.2a and 5.0.3, we didn't wait for broken
links reports to reach -www to update the links.
Thanks Steve for notiying -www :)

Steps before the release:
-------------------------
(not too early) because cdimage need to be ready before the next
scheduled website build. (check with "/msg dak webwml")

 a. Update webwml/english/template/debian/release_info.wml with
 current-cd-release, current-cd-release-dirname, and current-cd-release-filename

On www-master as debwww:
 b. 'cvs -q up -d' in /srv/www.debian.org/webwml/english/template/debian/

 c. Build the affected webpages:
    cd /srv/www.debian.org/webwml/ ;
    for i in */releases/ */CD/ */distrib/; do (cd $i; make; ); done

 => Matter of 10 minutes.

As soon as the new release is available from cdimage.d.o:

 d. Install the build webpages
    for i in */releases/ */CD/ */distrib/; do (cd $i; make install); done

 e. Trigger the mirroring:
    /org/www.debian.org/cron/parts/999TriggerMirrors

 => Few minutes, since only the html pages modified for the release will
be synced..

About ongoing downloads:

Concerning the transition of ongoing downloads, cdimage.d.o may enable
HTTP redirects from /debian-cd/5.0.2 to /cdimage/archive/5.0.2a/.

As a consequence, rsync mirrors would not be affected too much, and
people browsing http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/ will only see the new release.

--
Simon Paillard