Re: Mozilla plans for the squeeze cycle

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 09:41:31PM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 03:39:55PM +0200, Alexander Sack wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 02:41:21PM +0200, Marc Brockschmidt wrote:
> > > Heya,
> > >
> > > As announced on dda [RT1], we want to get an impression when releasing
> > > Squeeze is feasible. We have proposed a (quite ambitious) freeze in December
> > > 2009, and some developers have noted that their planned changes wouldn't be
> > > possible in this time frame. So, to find out when releasing would work for
> > > most people, it would be great if you could answer the following questions:
> > >

> > > * Which major upstream releases of Mozilla/Xulrunner-based software are
> > >   expected in the next two years? Which of those are material for Debian
> > >   stable, which might be a bit flaky?
> >
> > firefox 3.6 is currently scheduled for december 2009; i think it would
> > be worthwhile to get that in before freeze even if its not yet final
> > at that point; this would help to get a bit longer upstream security
> > support and would make debian more modern. Also it will probably get
> > to final during freeze.
> >
> > Mozilla does not have any 2 years plans that one could rely on. Last I
> > know is the general goal to target a ~9 month cycle, but with usual
> > approach to release when ready (so 3.5 took 12 month).
>
> And security support is dropped 6 months after that for the previous
> release. I.e. Firefox 3.0 security support will be dropped in 4 months.

(leaving the rest of the message for security-team (now CCed)' eyes)

Rough estimates have been published for the next Firefox releases,
namely 3.6, 3.7 and 4.0.

The roadmap is as follows:
3.6 - Q3/Q4 2009
3.7 - Q1/Q2 2010
4.0 - Q3/Q4 2010

What this means is that upstream wants a 6 months release cycle, which
means, with 6 months support for previous releases after a new one, that
a given release (branch) will only be supported one year.

Cheers,

Mike