Re: Future of the s390 port

On Aug 31, 2009, at 11:28 AM, Bastian Blank wrote:

The first problem is the worst. Currently only Frans Pop and I do work on it. Frans only does the Debian-Installer part and I simply have not enough time to do the rest. The s390 architecture is quite different to
anything else, so it needs several specialized packages to work[1] and
they need lasting attention.  So if anyone wants to help (especially
Debian developers) for the continuity of this port please speak up.

I'd like to help; my time has become much more limited than during previous release cycles, though, and my access to modern zSeries hardware has also become more limited.

I can test installation, but on nothing anywhere near a full complement of device types, and I can make recommendations and amendments to a fair number of the sysconfig shell scripts and the shell scripts in the d-i packages. And given the pressures of my day job I can't really guarantee that I will be able to respond to any specific item in a timely fashion.

I wish I could do more.

Adam