Re: apt plans for the squeeze cycle

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 02:41:11PM +0200, Marc Brockschmidt wrote:
> Heya,
Hi,

sorry for my late reply. I'm currently not great at responding to
mail (because real life). But the apt project is alive and well, just
a bit conservative.

> As announced on dda [RT1], we want to get an impression when releasing
> Squeeze is feasible. We have proposed a (quite ambitious) freeze in December
> 2009, and some developers have noted that their planned changes wouldn't be
> possible in this time frame. So, to find out when releasing would work for
> most people, it would be great if you could answer the following questions:
>
> Do you have any big changes planned? How much time would they take, and
> what consequences are there for the rest of the project?
>
> How many "big" transitions will the upcoming changes cause? When should those
> happen? Can we do something to make them easier?

We are working on some features, some of them may not make it for the
planned freeze. But if one does not make it, it will not get merged
into the debian-sid branch so it should not affect the release. We
also plan not to break the API (but we would like to do that at some
point after the next release). There will be more ABI breaks so we
will need bin-NMUs. But we try to avoid them if we can.

The following items are on the TODO list and have people working on them:
- multiarch
- long descriptions move from Packages to Translations-en
- better library behaviour (i.e. hide a lot of the internal
  symbols that currently cause ABI problems
- zsync and debdelta integration
- libudev integration for dynamic detection of the cdrom device (or
  other removable devices) instead of forcing /cdrom. this is partly
  done already

I would like to ask what we can do to help get bin-NMUs scheduled
quickly after a apt upload that breaks the ABI. Would it help if we
coordinate on a specific date that we announce a certain time (say 7
days) in advance?

Thanks,
 Michael (on behalf of the apt team)