Re: open issues with the hppa port

* Frans Pop (elendil@planet.nl) [090816 15:57]:
> Andreas Barth wrote:
> > As an current exmaple, take the libcdio-transition. This transition
> > needs to have updated packages xmms2, xmp and vlc. However, the
> > packages are out-of-date on hppa, and for this reason cannot enter
> > testing (and they depend on an old library that will go away with the
> > transition).

> 1) vlc is also not yet built on mips/mipsel, so hppa is not *the* blocking
> arch.

You might have noticed that I spoke of three packages, where for xmms2
hppa is the only one, xmp hppa together with ppc (buildd maintainer
looks for it, issue on ppc probably found) and vlc together with
mips*.

For vlc and mips* the core cause is http://bugs.debian.org/541797 .

Please notice that it is ok if that happens from time to time - just
hppa is too often involved into that. Please refer to the "uploaded
packages out of date" for statistics.

> 2) The current build was tried 3 times and failed three times with
> different errors; it also needed 3 tries on powerpc and required binNMUs
> on 2 arches. So, there *has* been action by the porters (retries) and
> clearly there are also problems with the package itself or its
> dependencies.
> Is it realistic to require porters to spend a lot of time or give priority
> to such an apparently fragile package? Isn't there some obligation on the
> maintainer of the package too?

If porters think the package is too fragile they are certainly free to
file RC bugs or ask for help on -release.

> 3) Looking at the error, it seems to me that this is hardly an
> architecture-specific issue:
> /bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=link gcc -std=gnu99
> `top_srcdir="../.." top_builddir="../.." ../../vlc-config --cflags plugin
> libflac_plugin.la` -g -O2 -Wall -Wextra -Wsign-compare -Wundef -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Wmissing-prototypes -Wvolatile-register-var -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -pipe -rpath '/usr/lib/vlc/codec' -avoid-version -module -export-symbol-regex
> ^vlc_entry -shrext .so -no-undefined `top_srcdir="../.."
> top_builddir="../.." ../../vlc-config --ldflags plugin
> libflac_plugin.la` -Wl,--as-needed -o
> libflac_plugin.la -rpath /usr/lib/vlc/codec libflac_plugin_la-flac.lo
> `top_srcdir="../.." top_builddir="../.." ../../vlc-config -libs plugin
> libflac_plugin.la` ../../src/libvlccore.la ../../compat/libcompat.la
> libtool: link:
> gcc -std=gnu99 -shared  .libs/libflac_plugin_la-flac.o  -Wl,--whole-archive ../../compat/.libs/libcompat.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive  -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/build/buildd-vlc_1.0.1-1-hppa-1oK93U/vlc-1.0.1/src/.libs -Wl,--as-needed -lpthread /usr/lib/libFLAC.so -logg ../../src/.libs/libvlccore.so    -Wl,-soname -Wl,libflac_plugin.so -o .libs/libflac_plugin.so
> /bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/libogg.la: No such file or directory
> libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libogg.la' is not a valid libtool archive

Well, that sounds like an architecture specific issue with libogg.la
which will probably need an binNMU on hppa.

> Or are you simply asking the hppa porters to be more active in filing
> FTBFS bugs against packages after build failures?

If they would do that, that might be quite helpful to distinguish
between "hppa issue" and "package issue".

Cheers,
Andi