Re: On cadence and collaboration

Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> Cyril Brulebois wrote:
>> Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> (05/08/2009):
>>
>>> Like some people said during Debconf: "freezing in December" doesn't
>>> necessarily mean freezing the first day or even the first week of
>>> December; the 31 is still December, which means there are 30 days to
>>> decide many things, if necessary.
>>>
>> Without having to resort to nitpicking on days, was the “freeze” term
>> define anywhere? My main question would be: will it be possible to e.g.
>> switch the default compiler right before the freeze and trigger possible
>> hundreds of serious FTBFS bugs? Or is some incremental freeze still
>> supposed to happen? (Putting -release in Cc to catch their attention.)
>>

> At least on the Ubuntu side, there would be room to agree in advance on
> items that are as yet unreleased, but which have for various reasons
> clear advantages and well understood risks.

Just providing a bit of Debian specific context:

A freeze in Debian is usually very strict and only allows small diffs
that fix release critical bugs, release goal bugs (and sometimes
documentation or translation bugs).

> So, for example, if someone on the toolchain team said "GCC 4.5 is going
> to be released in February, and we've run a test rebuild of the archive
> and there were only 20 FTBFS's" then it might well be possible to get
> consensus around that new version being planned as a consensus base
> version for releases in 2010.

This is normally out of the question within a Debian freeze, just before
the freeze could be an option if there is a clear commitment to fix the
remaining bugs though.

Cheers

Luk