Re: Bits from the release team and request for discussion

Hi,

        I would like to set up a selinux related release goal for
 Squeeze.

 Developer assiociated:  Manoj Srivastava (Perhaps also Russell Coker,
                         but I have not discussed this with him)
 Issues to be solved:
   (a) Get all Debian patches to the reference security policy merged in
       upstream.  Status: In progress, we have all patches submitted,
       some need to be tweaked and resubmitted based on feedback
        Time line: 1-2 months, depending on free tie I have
   (b) Update reference security policy to allow standard machines to be
       in enforcing mode.
       enforcing mode, but real machines are somewhat crippled; these
       denials need to be inspected, and determination needs to be made
       for how to resolve them (no not want security holes enshrined in
       policy)
      Time line: 6-8 months (can be done in tandem with a, if here were
      more people working on it)
   (c) Make it easier to run in struct (no unconfined.pp module)
       mode. This needs firstly documentation, and secondly, additional
       tweaks to policy to make it work. Russell has a play machine
       where it all works, but those changes are not in the reference
       policy -- and some of them might not be fit to be in ref policy
       at all.
      Time line: 9-12 months

        The actual non-policy packages are now well in sync with
 upstream,  so the weak point is the security policy.

        Ideally, the goal would be to have Squeeze certifiable at EAL-4,
 at least the "standard" install (no optional packages), if someone with
 deep pockets were willing to actually pay for the certification, and be
 willing to push through the process.

        manoj
--
The Public is merely a multiplied "me." Mark Twain