Proposed release goal: Renaming and design change of update-catalog

Hi,

As requested, I'm currently preparing updates for sgml-base involving
two major changes:

1) update-catalog is renamed to update-sgmlcatalaog
2) catalog registration has to be changed to comply to the policy

About 1): Well, it has been requested [1], that update-catalog changes
its name to update-sgmlcatalog. This will be done as of version 1.99.0
of sgml-base. It won't break any existing scripts, but a message will be
printed to STDERR to inform, that the script name has been changed and
that update-catalog will disappear in the future (probably in squeeze
+1?).

About 2): The current design always re-adds the catalog to the system
catalog, even if the user has decided to remove the catalog from the
system catalog and thus, the application violates the Debian policy
section 10.7.3 [2,3]. I currently think about 2 possible solution. It
might be necessary to bin-NMU all packages registering SGML catalogs. I
can tell you as soon as the final solution has been found.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/88008
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/88010
[3] http://bugs.debian.org/477751

Regards, Daniel