Re: Reverting the libmpc 0.1~r435-1 upload

Am Dienstag, den 07.04.2009, 20:27 +0200 schrieb Adeodato Simó:
> + Sebastian Dröge (Sat, 21 Mar 2009 09:26:20 +0100):
>
> Hello,

> > > Sure, important sounds fine to me, thanks.
>
> > Ok, done... the affected packages are:
>
> > cmus                   ---- Bug #476382
> > cynthiune.app          ---- Bug #476381
> > gst-plugins-bad0.10    ---- Ported
> > k3b                    ---- Bug #476379
> > libtunepimp            ---- Bug #476378
> > moc                    ---- Ported (FTBFS atm because of other issues)
> > mpc123                 ---- Bug #476372
> > mpd                    ---- Bug #476377
> > mplayer                ---- Bug #476384
> > qmmp                   ---- Bug #520596
> > quodlibet              ---- Unnecessary dependency, bug #476376
> > vlc                    ---- Bug #476375
> > xine-lib               ---- Bug #476374
> > xine-lib-1.2           ---- Bug #520600
> > xmms2                  ---- Bug #476373
>
> > Some of them might actually be ported already but they don't
> > build their musepack support with the experimental package right
> > now. This might be because the header location has changed
> > after I've filed those bugs, now it's final though :)
>
> Well, none of those bugs has been fixed in experimental by now (nor have
> a patch), and the one marked as pending (the one that is not quodlibet),
> has a comment by the maintainer stating that he intends to disable
> musepack support while upstream gets around to fixing the issue. The
> picture doesn’t look very promising:
>
>     http://bit.ly/libmpcdec6-transition
>
> I’m all for getting this transition done without leaving the old API
> around, but at the same time I don’t want packages unbuildable in
> unstable, with failures that are not straightforward to fix, for a long
> period of time.
>
> As I said in one of my earlier mails, I won’t feel comfortable with
> going forward with this transition until all (or most) of the packages
> have tested patches. The thing is that for this to happen, we’re going
> to need either time, quite a lot of it, or for somebody to step up and
> start “driving” the transition, filling the gaps the maintainers may
> leave.
>
> So the question is whether you have the time and inclination to do the
> latter yourself, if you want the transition done sooner rather than
> later, working with maintainers on a solution for each particular
> package (a solution that does not entail, preferably, dropping Musepack
> support from the application). For example, Rafael Laboissiere, the
> maintainer of libmtp, did exactly this for the recent libmtp7 -> libmtp8
> transition: he filed bugs, provided patches, and did a bunch of NMUs,
> which allowed us to do the transition in a timely manner.
>
> So, do we have a plan, or do we just opt for waiting? I’m Bcc'ing all of
> the involved bugs so that maintainers can send an update on the status
> of their bug (to the debian-release mailing list and *your* bug,
> please). If a fix exists, please send it to the BTS with an appropriate
> [...]

Ok, we've waited some months now and according to your bug list only 5
packages are missing.
xine-lib, xine-lib-1.2 are ported already IIRC, mpc123 was ported
upstream already so that makes 2 packages (k3b and libtunepimp).

Do you think now is a good time for an upload or shall we really wait
until the last package is ported?