Re: HPPA and Squeeze

On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 11:06:52AM +0200, Helge Deller wrote:
>>> Both peri and penalosa run 2.6.29-2-parisc64-smp and from what I
>>> can tell run on identical hardware.
>>
>> I tried a SMP kernel (2.6.30.1 with the patch set posted earlier) on
>> my rp34404.  Fired up a GCC build.  It didn't take more than a few
>> minutes to trigger a couple of segvs in /bin/sh.  On the other hand,
>> I ran a UP version of 2.6.30 for more than a week without any major
>> problems.
>
> So, instead of just complaining, wouldn't it be useful if someone with
> root access would install a UP kernel (and disable nscd) for the time
> being on the build servers?
> That way we all would avoid debian build problems and could concentrate
> on solving the issues with the SMP kernel itself.
>
> In the meantime, all (IMHO) major kernel patches have now been included
> in Linus' 2.6.31-rc2 kernel and I plan to backport and send them to the
> stable-kernel team for inclusion into 2.6.29 and 2.6.30 stable
> kernel series.

HPPA folks, can you please convert at least one buildd to a UP
configuration? I have another example of extreme buildd flakiness mentioned
in bug #529485. Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@debian.org> writes:

  That's too bad.  I saw 6 attempts to do 3.0.0-X of which two passed the
  first try and four failed.  At that rate (1/3), it would take nine
  attempts to have a decent chance of passing both rounds (debug static
  and optimized shared/static).

HPPA is the only arch for which petsc failed to build, and currently this
blocks petsc transition.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org