Re: libjpegv7 transition

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 09:46:13PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> True, and not true. If you have something like that in the new headers:
>     #define LIBJPEG_REDIRECT(sym, proto) sym JPP(proto) __asm__(#sym"_abi7x")
> And then do:
>     EXTERN(void) LIBJPEG_REDIRECT(jpeg_destroy, (j_common_ptr cinfo));

I was not able to find this source fragments everywhere. Nor was I able
to find a version 7 of the jpeg lib.

> Then you'll divert all uses of jpeg_destroy to jpeg_destroy_abi7x which
> can be properly versioned, and the always-matching semantics of 'Base'
> will not be a problem.

So they are not versioned, which means ELF symbol versions in this case,
but renamed.

> I wish they had done that + kept the old 'Base' symbols with the
> appropriate things to do and forward to the new abi functions to keep
> binary compatibility :|

The maintainer is free to fix that problem.

Bastian

--
Vulcans believe peace should not depend on force.
		-- Amanda, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.3