Re: libjpegv7 transition

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 07:30:17PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 03:48:28PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > Dear release team,
> >
> > libjpeg v7 is likely to be released at the end of June.
> > A prerelease tarball is available.
> >
> > This version is ABI-incompatible with libjpeg6b.
> > However it should be fully API compatible.
> > To avoid symbol conflicts with libjpeg v6, the symbols are versionned.
> >
> > This means the transition should be relatively safe but will involve
> > a lot of packages.
> >
> > How do you want me to proceed ?
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, those packages only build-depends on libjpeg-dev:
> Package: analog
> Package: blender
> Package: dcraw
> Package: exactimage
> Package: fbi
> Package: ffmpegthumbnailer
> Package: fgfs-atlas
> Package: freej
> Package: fsviewer
> Package: ghostscript
> Package: gnash
> Package: grace
> Package: grace6
> Package: hasciicam
> Package: htmldoc
> Package: igstk
> Package: inventor
> Package: mathgl
> Package: nxcomp
> Package: openscenegraph
> Package: pike7.6
> Package: poppler
> Package: prima
> Package: shoes
> Package: ssystem
> Package: steghide
> Package: tipptrainer
> Package: xen-3
> Package: xen-unstable
> Package: xjig
> Package: xnc
>
> Those build-depend on libjpeg62-dev | libjpeg-dev:
> Package: csmash
> Package: djvulibre
> Package: epm
> Package: flightgear
> Package: iceape
> Package: libmng
> Package: metapixel
> Package: simgear
> Package: uvccapture
> Package: wine
> Package: xmhtml
> Package: ygraph
>
> And a vast majority of packages build-depend on libjpeg62-dev (that is
> roughly 220 packages if I'm correct).
>
> IOW, I'd say, first you can upload a new libjpeg in a new source
> package, that doesn't provide libjpeg-dev for now, so that we can clear
> NEW and FTBFS-es and stuff like that.

I have little experience in stuff like this but as the new libjpeg is
fully API compatible, couldn't the new dev package just have
'Provides: libjpeg62-dev'? Then it should still be possible to do binNMUs
without requiring sourceful uploads of all packages build-depending on
it. The bugs to switch to libjpeg-dev as build-dep would still need to
be filed, but they could be wishlist.

AFAIK, that's how the transition from libltdl3 to libltdl7 was handled.

--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org
Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/                      KeyID: C99E03CC