Next steps for krb5 transition

Hi.  Thanks for all your help with the binary NMUs and for analyzing
my plans and giving suggestions.

Kerberos 1.7 was released Tuesday.  There are no code changes between
that release and what is in sid today (krb5 1.7~beta3).

I don't know how this fits into other plans, from the standpoint of
the krb5 package, letting krb5 1.7dfsg~beta3-1 (current sid) sit
around until it's 10 days run out and helping it migrate into testing
would be good.

I'm assuming there are some complications I don't know about it as
debian-release currently has a block on krb5.

There are also a few complications I do know about in the form of
things in testing that still depend on libkrb53.  My preference would
be to allow libkrb53 to stay ing testing as a binary package.  It has
no file overlaps with the libraries in the 1.7 packages; it simply
contains two libraries that are no longer part of the package and
depends on the packages that contain the retained libraries.  So, as
far as I can tell, if krb5 and libauthen-krb5-admin-perl migrate from
unstable to testing and libkrb53 is retained in testing, nothing
breaks.

Here are the packages that depend on libkrb53 in  testing on amd64:

Package: balsa
Package: cvsnt
Package: libremctl1
Package: python-remctl
Package: remctl-server
Package: audispd-plugins
Package: auditd
Package: libtinymail-camel-1.0-0
Package: mailutils
Package: mailutils-imap4d
Package: mailutils-mh
Package: mailutils-pop3d

There are builds of these in unstable that do not depend on libkrb53.
However there are build problems preventing builds on all
architectures.

Package: gtorrent-viewer
As best I can tell this is just broken in unstable.

Package: libkrb5-dev
Upgrading krb5 will remove this dependency.

Package: libroot5.18
Package: root-plugin-krb5
Package: root-system-proofd
Package: root-system-rootd
Package: root-system-xrootd

Root-system is newer in testing than unstable and has RC bugs open for
 a long time in unstable.

Package: libzephyr3-krb
Package: zephyr-server-krb

Zephyr's Kerberos support has been broken for a while in testing, so
breaking libzephyr3-krb and zephyr-server-krb's dependencies in
testing won't be a big deal.  The code doesn't work.  Zephyr is
uninstallable and unbuildable in unstable.  The version in
experimental builds and installs but the maintainer does not believe
it works.  The maintainer is aware of the situation and has taken over
upstream development of the package.  Non-backward compatible protocol
changes will be required.  So, this is already kind of broken, isn't
getting fixed soon, but is under control as best it can be with
limited time.

I think moving krb5 into testing when its 10 days are up (or
relatively soon) would be good.  This is in part because after I
reverted the symbols file change as we discussed, packages in unstable
are beginning to stall behind krb5.  Since I think we can move it into
testing without breaking anything I think it is desirable to do so.
On the other hand I'll certainly understand if you want to wait until
more dependencies go away from libkrb53.

Also, as I said, I don't understand how this interacts with other
transitions.  If you do think it makes sense to wait more than 10 days
before trying to migrate krb5, please let me know.  In that case I'll
upload something based off 1.7 instead of 1.7~beta3.  As I mentioned
earlier, there are no code changes with that upload so there's no
particular desire to do that before a testing migration.

Thanks for the hard work!

--Sam