[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Pushing kde4 into testing



Short version: We need to act now before we get caught with the new
boost things, kde4 looks better now that I expected - and better than I
expect it to be within the next month or so.

Everything of KDE4 that uses boost will fail with the new boost-defaults
as kde4 has checks for explicit versions, and 1.38 is not in the list of
versions it knows about. 

Maybe the best thing is to push everything now, let some things be
broken for a while and then fix up afterwards.
A bit of things is unbuilt on hppa and mips*, as they as you all know
have been having issues lately and haven't fully recovered.

The alternative is that we wait and pushes newer kde packages to
unstable and hope everything is better in a month, with whatever
blockings that will give.
It is also unclear if other or same archs will be at a different
condition later on.

Longer version:
Adeodato identified some issues (quoted - and my comments added)
Moste of this will be a story about omelettes and eggs and how long to
wait for maintainers to consider how to fix their issues.

|Packages rendered uninstallable by KDE4 and that don't seem to have a
|fixed version in unstable:

All these issues have existed in unstable for a little more than a
month.

|bulmages-common (= 0.11.1-2): FAILED
|The following constraints cannot be satisfied:
|  bulmages-common (= 0.11.1-2) depends on kpdf {NOT AVAILABLE}

"Maintainer will fix one day in the future" - Remove it from testing
now, it should easy flow back once it is fixed.

Bulmages is a spanish accounting program for small businesses.
Users who really needs it can get bulmages from stable.

|digikam-doc (= 0.9.5-1): FAILED
|The following constraints cannot be satisfied:
|  digikam-doc (= 0.9.5-1) depends on khelpcenter {NOT AVAILABLE}

Let's remove this temporarily, it is documentation for the kde3 edition
of digikam/lenny anyways.
Maintainer says: remove it for now.

|knights (= 0.6-8.2): FAILED
|The following constraints cannot be satisfied:
|  knights (= 0.6-8.2) depends on kdebase-kio-plugins {NOT AVAILABLE}

Package unmaintained and up for adoption - and haven't had a maintainer
upload since 2007.

Unless we start NMU'ing / QA uploading it, it will stay broken.
Let us remove it from testing for now, hoping for a adopter.


|opensync-plugin-kdepim (= 0.22-3): FAILED
|The following constraints cannot be satisfied:
|  opensync-plugin-kdepim (= 0.22-3) depends on libkcal2b (>= 4:3.5.8) {NOT AVAILABLE}

Maintainer aware and have had more than a month to fix it, including
finding patches over in fedora-land. Maintainer will fix within weeks or
months. I'm not suer it is worth waiting for. A fixed version will go
easy to testing once ready.

|taskjuggler (= 2.4.1-1): FAILED
|The following constraints cannot be satisfied:
|  taskjuggler (= 2.4.1-1) depends on libkcal2b (>= 4:3.5.9) {NOT AVAILABLE}

Taskjuggler will be fixed one day. Maintainer is aware and have been it
since around lenny release. Maintainers are part of the debian kde team.
A fixed version (either using libical directly, or by removing the kcal
features) should easy go back to testing once ready

|soundkonverter-amarok (= 0.3.8-2): FAILED
|The following constraints cannot be satisfied:
|  soundkonverter-amarok (= 0.3.8-2) depends on libqt0-ruby1.8 {NOT AVAILABLE}

This is bound to go anyways - at latest when amarok goes amarok2, so let
us just kill it now.

|lurker (= 2.1-13): FAILED
|The following constraints cannot be satisfied:
|  lurker (= 2.1-13) depends on libmimelib1c2a (>= 4:3.5.9) {NOT AVAILABLE}

This is the only one I feel a bit sorry for. The debian maintainer have
been working hard and is still working towards providing a mimelib he
can use for lurker. I hope for it to come one day soon, but it will need
a NEW roundtrip.

|libqt-perl (= 3.008-4): FAILED
|The following constraints cannot be satisfied:
|  libqt-perl (= 3.008-4) depends on libsmokeqt1 (>= 4:3.5.10) {NOT AVAILABLE}

Won't be fixed until after the summer, remove for now. Maintainer
aware.

|libtse3-0.3.1c2a (= 0.3.1-4.2): FAILED
|The following constraints cannot be satisfied:
|  libtse3-0.3.1c2a (= 0.3.1-4.2) depends on artsbuilder (>= 4:3.5.9) {NOT AVAILABLE}

Somehow we have missed this in the past. A rc bug have been filed about
it since april 19 without any maintainer reaction.
doesn't have much rdepends
Last maintainer upload in 2005 - and last upload (NMU) was apparantly done in
a unclean environment where it picked up half of kde.

binNMU it and get rid of the kde dependencies.

|--

|Plus the compiz-kde issue (ties KDE4 to GNOME 2.26; we'll have to figure
|that out), and the exiv2 transition, which is a prerequisite.

I guess breaking compiz-kde in testing temporarily is acceptable

|--

|And then, the following packages are needed but have RC bugs:

|force smart/1.2-1

hmm... I guess I can fast-NMU it if needed, alternatively we can try
drop it from kde and let it be removed.

|force basket/1.0.2-7

Fixed in unstable in -7, but not built yet on all archs. If it is hinted
out of testing, it will flow back in a week.

|force kdepim/4:4.2.2-1

bug report mangled in place. Overinflated and aginst wrong package.

|force kdewebdev/4:4.2.2-1

Will be fixed soonish.

|force kdegraphics/4:4.2.2-2

I can't see any rc bugs on kdegraphics?  (except the one regarding
stable, which applies to testing, but not to unstable, as the unstable
one doesn't embed a copy of xpdf)

|force kipi-plugins/0.2.0-2

hmm.. maybe this should be hinted the other way until it gets fixed - or
forced in.

- - - 

Biggest issue is a few missing builds, especially of qt4-x11 on s390 and
ia64 and hppa. (s390 seems to be running out of memory, bastian blank
aware, it keeps falling down the queue on hppa, I don't know who to
contact about that)

Bottom line: We need to move forward one way or another. Either by using
the quite good slot we seem to have now - or alternatively by saying
"this is not it" and just continue development looking back on the
process in a couple of months. 
You now have my full attention 

/Sune


Reply to: