Re: [RFC] Debian Installer related scripts suitable for moving

* Otavio Salvador [Mon, 02 Mar 2009 20:10:34 -0300]:

> Hello,

Hi,

> RM people has get in touch with me asking for which script we consider
> suitable for moving into release.debian.org.

I'll note that our goal was/is to do whatever is needed to make your
situation better in this regard. I think it was you who suggested this
move would make things better for you, that's why I brought it back.

Just clarifying this is not a "Release Team must do it all!" move.

Christian writes:

> Still, having it run under a developer account is a small weakness

So, another option would be for d-i to have its own role account,
accessible for d-i RMs and other selected people, and that way you can
be in charge of maintaining your own scripts.

Now, two things:

> It was make clear to RM team that we need to be able to fix the scripts
> by ourselfs and I belive that it shouldn't be a problem.

Well, if the scripts are going to be run on ftp-master under the
"release" role account, I don't think it's possible to grant you direct
modification access *to the code*. So, in this regard, this indeed adds
a further level of indirection, and if what you want is to be able to
commit to the VCS and have the next run pick up that code without human
intervention, maybe you should consider the d-i role acount route.

OTOH, for scripts that obtain data from the archive, I can easily
provide the initial code attacking the projectb database (rather than
the mirror), and the code is public, and patches should be fairly fast
to integrate.

Additionally, if there are scripts that work against a static list of
packages (rather than, say, a dynamic list like "all packages providing
udebs"), then *that static list* can be fetched from the d-i SVN repo,
for example, which should account for most of the updates needed, once
the code is stable.

So, really, please think it over, talk with us about which are your
goals and constraints, and we try to figure out what works best for
everybody, okay?

> The only ones that come to my head are:

>  1. testing summary (http://merkel.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/testing-summary.html)
>  2. building summary (http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/build-logs.html)

There is also http://ftp-master.debian.org/d-i. Which has a planned
revamp for ourselves, and I will move it to release.d.o at the same
time.

And, regarding #1 above, I confirm what I said on IRC: I am not able to
maintain that, plus it doesn't work against the projectb database, so
I'd rewrite it into something I can maintain: python + SQL + html
templates.

So, I'll wait to hear from you regarding all of the above. I'll repeat
that our goal is to make things better for you, and that you have to
help us figure out what that entails.

Cheers!

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all
                -- George Bernard Shaw