Re: Replacing defoma [was: Removing orphaned packages from testing]

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Paul Hardy <unifoundry@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you have enough familiarity with defoma to put together a guide for
> font maintainers to transition from defoma to whatever the alternative
> will be?  Should we just use fontconfig for TrueType/OpenType fonts?
> I use defoma for installing the unifont packages.  I've seen requests
> to adopt defoma, but know after looking at the source code that I
> don't have the time to properly maintain a package of that size.

It is way too early to be thinking about that. I will put up a guide
and or file patches on all the fonts once it is time.

Please keep the defoma hints until the things that require it have
migrated to fontconfig. These are Xorg (via the default FontPath and
x-ttcidfont-conf), grace6, grace, libwmf, xdvik-ja, vflib3. These
three depend on both fontconfig and defoma: ghostscript, gnustep-back,
and pango, so those will need investigation.

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-fonts-devel/2009-February/002325.html

--
bye,
pabs