Re: Removing orphaned packages from testing

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Raphael Geissert
<atomo64+debian@gmail.com> wrote:

> If there are 148 packages there should be at least what, 20 maintainers? (I
> would hope there are far more) why don't they, or the fonts team, adopt
> defoma? or replace it with something else? 16 months of preparation of
> squeeze should be more than enough time to do any of both options.

I hope to patch up the 6 or so packages that actually need defoma to
switch to fontconfig so we can remove defoma for good. As a first
start I've filed a few bugs upstream (except for
xorg/x-ttcidfont-conf) and will be working on porting these to
fontconfig after filing bugs on the Debian side. I think the rest of
the packages are just fonts and the defoma deps can easily be removed.
After that dh_installdefoma can be removed from debhelper and the
defoma bits can be removed from fontconfig.

$ cat ~/todo/debian.defoma
usr/share/defoma/scripts/fontconfig.defoma                  utils/fontconfig
usr/share/defoma/scripts/gnustep-nfont.defoma
libs/gnustep-back-common
usr/share/defoma/scripts/grace6.defoma                      math/grace6
usr/share/defoma/scripts/grace.defoma                       math/grace
usr/share/defoma/scripts/gs.defoma                          text/ghostscript
usr/share/defoma/scripts/libwmf0.2-7.defoma                 libs/libwmf0.2-7
usr/share/defoma/scripts/pango.defoma
misc/libpango1.0-common
usr/share/defoma/scripts/psfontmgr.defoma                   admin/psfontmgr
usr/share/defoma/scripts/vflib3.defoma                      libs/vflib3
usr/share/defoma/scripts/xdvik-ja.defoma                    tex/xdvik-ja
usr/share/defoma/scripts/x-ttcidfont-conf.defoma            x11/x-ttcidfont-conf

Of these, several need porting to fontconfig:

grace6
grace
libwmf
xorg (x-ttcidfont-conf)
xdvik-ja
vflib3
psfontmgr

A few already use fontconfig or appear to:

gnustep-back0.14-cairo (there are other gnustep-back* packages)
ghostscript (via libgs)
pango

>> Perhaps removing all the orphaned leaf packages would be a good start
>> though.
>
> Or finding an adopter.

Sure, for packages that have been orphaned for a long time, that seems
unlikely though.

--
bye,
pabs