Re: Draft for lenny release announcement

Hey, Alexander, thanks for your work here! Some minor comments follow:

> supports a total of eleven processor architectures

As per Riku's comment about armel being missing, this should be 12.

> A total of eleven architectures are supported including:

Same here.

> Support for Macromedias Flash format is available via the swfdec plugin.

Should Gnash be mentioned here? Is it ready for such a high profile
mention? (Maintainers Bcc'ed.)

> into Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 made it possible to ship Java based
> applications in Debians "main" repository.</p>
                  ^^^^^^^
                  Debian's

> 2.4.7, Iceweasel (an unbranded version of Mozilla Firefox 3.0.5), Icedove
                                                            ^^^^^
                                                            3.0.6 (will
                                                            migrate soon)

> Iceape (an unbranded version of Mozilla Seamonkey 1.1.14),

Iceape has been dropped (we only keep the -dev packages for
Build-Dependencies), so please drop that bit from the announcement.

> PostgreSQL 8.3.5,

This may be 8.3.6 in the end, I'll let you know if that's the case.

> MySQL
> 5.1.30 and 5.0.51a, GNU Compiler Collection 4.3.2, Linux kernel version
> 2.6.26, Apache 2.2.9, Samba 3.2.5, Python 2.5.2 and 2.4.6, Perl 5.10.0,
> PHP 5.2.6, Asterisk 1.4.21.2, Emacs 22, Inkscapoe 0.46, Nagios 3.06, Xen
                                          ^^^^^^^^^
                                          Inkscape (typo)

> Hypervisor 3.2.1, OpenJDK 6b11 and more than 23,000 other ready to use
> software packages.</p>

I don't know about the 23,000 figure. It is binary package based, and
I'm not sure if that's really fair, because splitting an upstream into
different .debs is after all an artifact of the distribution. (FWIW
there are around 12,500 source packages in Lenny.)

In any case, I'm happy to leave this issue to your discretion.

> GNU/Linux 4.0 codenamed <q>etch</q>, are automatically handled by the
> aptitude package management tool for most configurations, and to a
> certain degree also by the apt-get package management tool.

This should be consistent with the Release Notes. I haven't been
tracking the relevant section there very closely, but I thought apt-get
was preferred now over aptitude. Could you investigate, and swap the
order if that's the case?

> <h2>About Debian</h2>

Was there going to be a brief mention of the dedication to Thiemo in the
announcement? (I think I saw the idea thrown somewhere, I'm just not
sure if something came out of it.)

Thanks!

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

If you want the holes in your knowledge showing up try teaching someone.
                -- Alan Cox