Re: postgresql 8.1.16 and Debian 4.0r7

Hello Martin,

Martin Zobel-Helas [2009-02-06 13:43 +0100]:
> do you have any plans for uploading PostgreSQL 8.1.16 before the release
> of Debian r7?

In fact I do, yes. I am preparing and testing the updates as we speak.

> As far as i can see it is a bugfix-only release.

Indeed it is. Upstream has a strict policy on stable releases, and
usually they are very sane. Regressions aren't unheard of, though, so
I usually give it a week or two to mature before I upload to stable.

> We are planing to release r7 next week, so if you should decide to
> include it into etch, pls speak up NOW.

The changes in 8.1 are fairly harmless, which both has the advantage
of not having a high regression potential, but also means that it
isn't really urgent to get it into r7:

postgresql-8.1 (8.1.15-0etch2) stable; urgency=low

  * New upstream bugfix release 8.1.16:
    - Fix rare crash in autovacuum.
    - Improve handling of URLs in headline() function.
    - Improve handling of overlength headlines in headline() function.
    - Prevent possible Assert failure or misconversion if an encoding
      conversion is created with the wrong conversion function for the
      specified pair of encodings.
    - Avoid unnecessary locking of small tables in "VACUUM".
    - Ensure that the contents of a holdable cursor don't depend on the
      contents of TOAST tables. Previously, large field values in a
      cursor result might be represented as TOAST pointers, which
      would fail if the referenced table got dropped before the cursor
      is read, or if the large value is deleted and then vacuumed
      away. This cannot happen with an ordinary cursor, but it could
      with a cursor that is held past its creating transaction.
    - Fix uninitialized variables in "contrib/tsearch2"'s get_covers()
      function.
    - Make all documentation reference pgsql-bugs and/or pgsql-hackers as
      appropriate, instead of the now-decommissioned pgsql-ports and
      pgsql-patches mailing lists.

 -- Martin Pitt <mpitt@debian.org>  Fri, 06 Feb 2009 22:24:34 +0100

I'll let you know when I finished doing the updates and they pass all
tests.

Thanks,

Martin