Re: Question about fixing #512075

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:50:43PM +0100, Thomas Weber wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:18:19PM +0100, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 01:22:19PM +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > * Thomas Weber [Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:08:31 +0100]:
> >
> > > I've patched 1.0.6 instead, it turned out to be only a one-line change.
> > > Sadly, the package now FTBFS on ARM only,
> > > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgfortranbegin
> >
> > > Sigh, back to square one.
> >
> > Okay, CC'ing the arm buildd maintainers to see if the recognice
> > something from the log:
> >
> >     http://buildd.debian.org/~luk/status/package.php?p=octave-symbolic#fail-octave-symbolic-arm
> >
> > I am able to reproduce the problem locally. The problem is that the
> > build system is using -L/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnu/4.3.1 while this
> > directory doesn't exists.
> >
> > The directory is also wrong on other systems, but as g++ and thus
> > g++-4.3 is used (g++-4.1 is used on arm), the directory containing
> > -lgfortranbegin is already in the include path.
> >
> > I don't see any reason to compile this package with g++-4.1 on arm
> > anymore (the ICE have been fixed a long time ago), so the best
> > solution is probably to build with the default compiler on arm, like it
> > is done on armel.
>
> This might require a rebuild of Octave and every arch package depending
> on it (the gcc path is hardwired in the mkoctfile script used for
> building these addons), but see below.
>
> The reason for forcing gcc to 4.1 was
> (This crashed Octave itself on ARM).

This bug report is about omniorb4. How to reproduce the bug with octave?
I can try to make a build with gcc-4.3 and tell you if it works or not.

> If this is fixed in gcc-4.3, maybe that bug report should be closed, or
> the information added?
>
> Anyway, what's debian-release's opinion on the package? I'll investigate
> the possibility of overriding the /usr/bin/gcc- stuff for this one
> package.

The other solution is to pass the correct directory to g++ when linking.
You should probably use -L/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnu/4.3 .

Aurelien

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73