Re: Why you need not upload with urgency=high for the freeze

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 01:13:50AM +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:

> there was one bit about the handling of the freeze that was not well
> communicated in the previous release announcement:
>
>   | Packages that are present in unstable the day we freeze will be
>   | automatically allowed into testing, that is, the freeze date (next
>   | weekend) does not mean your package should be in testing by then,
>   | but only in unstable.
>
> I'm sending this in a mail by its own because I think it's very
> important we avoid uploads like this:
>
>   * Urgency high to meet freeze deadline.
>   * Urgency medium to try to beat the release.

I admit it, I uploaded e2fsprogs with urgency=medium because I wanted
to make sure it would make the freeze.  I wanted very much to make
sure 1.41.0 would make the release, and previous release candidates
had been uploaded to experimental and Red Hat rawhide for testing so I
was pretty confident that 1.41.0 was solid.  Indeed, most of the bugs
that have been reported and fixed to date have been a few typo's in
messages that were detected by translators, and a Debian-specific MIPS
FTBFS because of a MIPS-special casing due to obscure library
constraints that required MIPS-specific.

In any case, e2fsprogs has been in testing for six days now (seven by
tomorrow morning :-), and I think it is ready for testing.  I
understand that the freeze for libraries had already happened (I
didn't realize that; I thought I had a little bit more time), but I
would like to request an exception.  The libext2fs libraries are
relied upon by very few programs, and 1.41 did not change any shared
library ABI's; I'm *very* anal careful about only adding new
interfaces, and not changing existing ones.

In addition 1.41.0 closed a large number of bugs over 1.40.11, and is
the first version to have ext4 support.  So I really would like to see
e2fsprogs included, and would really appreciate it if the Debian
Release Team would see fit to bend the library freeze slightly to
allow the packages built by the e2fsprogs source package into testing.

Thanks, regards,

							- Ted